(return to services we provide page)
Occupational psychiatry is the amalgam of two fields of medicine: occupational medicine and psychiatry. Occupational medicine deals with the prevention and treatment of diseases and injuries occurring at work and attempts to maintain workers' health, prevent disease, and treat the results of occupational disease or accident. Psychiatry deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental and emotional disorders. Occupational psychiatrists have an interest and commitment to understanding work, career and profession as integral parts of a healthy life. This knowledge is applied to improving the emotional well-being of individuals feeling troubled at work for one reason or another.
The Columbia Center performs the following Occupational Psychiatry roles:
DISABILITY DETERMINATIONS FOR:
- Commercial Disability Insurance
- Occupational psychiatrists provide diagnoses and offer opinions regarding psychiatric impairments. The ultimate determination of disability is an administrative or judicial decision made administratively by the company or organization or by judicial tribunals.
- Social Security Disability
- Worker's Compensation
FITNESS FOR DUTY EVALUATIONS AND RISK-ASSESSMENT:
- Fitness for duty evaluations and assessment of risks and safety related to a workers' condition and medications in the workplace.
- Facilitating the rapid return of injured or ill employees.
- Provide treatment for impaired or disruptive executives and professionals, which may include evaluation, psychotherapy and medication management.